Swarm Capture and Management
It's been quite some time since posting. Mostly because our new dogs ruined just about everything in our garden which was pretty depressing. This caused pretty much no news to develop with the exception of the March swarming of bees in our area.
|Our 'dog eared' top bar beehive sited|
I previously posted about our slump block bees and our construction of our first 'dog eared' beehive from cedar fence planks. We waited patiently for bees to move in on their own, but that never really happened.
I tried making a lemongrass tincture from our lemongrass plants, but no interest.
In March, there were many reports of swarming and our neighbor told us they had a swarm in their oleanders. They wanted us to know because they were planning to have an exterminator come and kill them off. We were so glad they knocked on our door!
The SwarmWe didn't photograph the entire process, but managed to get one blurry shot of the bees swarming on an oleander branch. It was towards our side of the property, so Mr. Man donned a make shift bee suit and set to fetching them.
It was really interesting to see. The first try Mr. Man cut the branch and the jolt caused the bees to fly around in a cloud. They didn't land on either of us, just flew around really disorganized.
Second try we got the branch and shook it so the bees just kind of fell off like a bunch of dirt falling into the bucket. Not many people get to see this kind of thing. I'm glad I had the experience.
We poured the bees into the beehive, but they started gathering back on the oleander pretty quickly. We probably didn't get the queen the first two tries.
|Bees on the top bar beehive entrance|
We were very pleased to have the bees actually move in and get to work. We then started wondering how are we going to manage them because we hadn't really expected that they would actually move in. We decided to buy some 'real' bee suits which work wonderfully.
On our first inspection of the hive, we found all the work the bees have been up to and ended up
|Busy bees in the top bar hive|
We found that many of the comb cells were capped and there were several cells with assorted sizes of larvae prior to being capped. This means that the queen went straight to work in the 14 days they had the hive, laid eggs and workers capped them (at least 9 day old larvae). I didn't see any honey comb, but it makes sense the energy is going towards expanding the hive before starting to store food.
We checked through the window this morning, and found that the two new slats have comb started, so we will expand the hive by two more slats tomorrow morning. Hopefully this will encourage the bees to make straight, unconnected comb.
Slump Block Bee Hive
|Slump block bees|
We really don't want any bees in our small garden retaining wall. We'll be researching how to remove them and help them through the transition.
We'll need to clean out the slump block afterwards (maybe purification by fire) and then fill the slump block openings with dirt to prevent any new bees from becoming interested in this really odd hive location.